Photo by Virginia Pinkston
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 large apple, preferably McIntosh, Cortland or Macoun
- 2 cups stale bread (such as white, French, oatmeal or whole-grain), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2¼ cups milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- light cream, whipped cream or ice cream to garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Peel apple and cut into 2-inch slices. Place apple slices and bread cubes in the bottom of an 8- by 8-inch baking dish.
Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and salt, and sprinkle over apple-bread mixture.
Whisk together milk, eggs and vanilla, and pour over apple-bread mixture.
Place baking dish in larger, shallow pan on middle oven rack, and pour 1 inch hot water into outer pan.
Bake 45 minutes or until knife inserted just off-center comes out clean. Serve warm with light cream, whipped cream or ice cream.