Gather some fresh, local asparagus and new potatoes–with some fresh dairy products–for this tasty spring chowder!
- 1 pound asparagus, woody ends removed, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 pounds new potatoes, peeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2/3 cup finely chopped leeks, white and green parts mixed
- 1/2 cup sweet bell pepper, any color, diced
- 4 T. butter
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup light cream or half-and-half
- 4 T. flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- black or white pepper to taste
In a large saucepan with a heavy bottom, melt butter over medium heat. Add leeks and peppers, and sauté for 5 minutes until vegetables are soft. Add asparagus, potatoes, broth, and salt and pepper.
Cover, bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat, and simmer until asparagus and potatoes are barely tender, about 17 to 20 minutes.
Whisk flour into light cream or half-and-half. Stir into soup. Add milk. Simmer, uncovered, until soup has thickened to a lightly creamy consistency, about 15 minutes.
Serve hot. Makes approximately 21⁄2 quarts.