Photo by Kate Savage
Serves 10-12 people
- 1 ½ lbs of brussel sprouts, trimmed, quartered lengthwise
- 1 ½ lb head of cauliflower, trimmed into small florets
- 2 ¾ cups of heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- 1 T chopped fresh sage
- 1 ½ T olive oil
- ½ cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- ½ cup pine nuts, light toasted
- 2 T chopped fresh Italian parsley
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cook brussel sprouts in boiling water for 2 minutes. Add cauliflower to the same pot and cook until both are crisp-tender. Drain. Refresh in iced water. Drain.
Combine cream, shallots and sage in large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, simmer until mixture is reduced to 2 ½ cups, 10 minutes. Season with salt. Remove and cool. Heat oil in skillet, add breadcrumbs and stir until browned. Stir in toasted pinenuts and parsley.
Butter a 13 x 9 x 2 casserole dish or equivalent. Arrange half of the vegetables in dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then 1 ½ cups of Parmesan. Arrange remaining vegetables evenly over, then sprinkle with remaining 1 ½ cup of Parmesan. Pour Cream evenly over.
Cover Gratin with foil and bake covered for 40 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle breadcrumb topping over and bake uncovered 15 minutes.