Photo by Rhoda Peacher
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 large or 4 medium nectarines
- olive oil for grilling
- 1 large or 2 small avocados
- 1 cup peeled, seeded cucumber, cut into 1/2-inch-square pieces
- 1/2 cup diced fresh jalapeños (remove seeds and pith)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 T. finely chopped shallots
- green lettuce leaves
Fresh Lime Dressing
- 2 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Heat grill to medium. Halve nectarines, remove pits, and brush both sides with olive oil. Place nectarine halves skin-side-up on grill and cook for about 5 to7 minutes on each side or until fruit is just tender and caramelized but not falling apart. Remove from grill, let cool, and cut into 1-inch chunks.
Halve avocados, remove pit, scoop flesh from skin, and cut into 1-inch-square pieces. Place nectarines, avocado, cucumber, jalapeños, cilantro and shallots in mixing bowl. Toss gently to combine.
Combine dressing ingredients in jar with tight-fitting lid, and shake until slightly thickened. Pour over nectarine mixture, and toss gently. Serve on green lettuce leaves.