Photo by Rachael Brugger
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
1 cup fine whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. herbes de Provence
- 3 T. unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing pan
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (Pistachios work well, too.)
- 1 T. balsamic or red-wine vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces feta or fresh goat cheese (aka chèvre)
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 T. fresh oregano or dill, minced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix dry ingredients together before adding oil and melted butter. Press damp crumbs evenly into 8- to 9-inch pie plate. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Cool briefly before filling.
In small pan, sauté onions in butter until soft and edges are browned. Add nuts and continue cooking until just golden. Add vinegar and cook until completely absorbed. Season to taste. Remove from heat.
In food processor or blender, mix remaining ingredients well. Layer onion-nut mix onto prepared crust and pour egg mix over it.
Return pie to oven for 30 minutes or until filling is firm.