Yield: 8 servings
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 banana peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground red pepper or crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups green beans, chopped into 1 ¼-inch pieces
- 1½-inch piece galangal root*, cut into 1/8-inch thick rounds
- 3 stalks lemon grass, cut into 3-inch-long pieces
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (or the zest and juice of one large lime)
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 5-ounce cans coconut milk (not coconut cream or coconut oil)
*Thai ginger root, found in Asian markets
In blender, purée shallots, garlic, banana peppers, salt and red pepper into a paste.
In frying pan, sauté chicken in olive oil over medium heat for about eight minutes. Remove from heat, add puréed paste to chicken, and stir until well mixed.
Pour meat and paste mixture into slow cooker. Add potatoes, green beans, galangal root, lemon grass, lime leaves, turmeric and coconut milk to slow cooker, and mix well. Cover and cook on low for six to eight hours. Before serving, remove lemon grass and chunks of galangal root. Serve over steamed white or brown rice.
Excerpt from Easy Garden Recipes, part of the Popular Kitchen Series, with permission from its publisher, BowTie, Inc. Purchase Easy Garden Recipes here.