In this recipe, venison, a lean meat, benefits from the addition of ground pork, bacon and sour cream for extra fat and flavor.
- 1½ pounds ground venison
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/4 pound bacon, put through a meat grinder or very finely minced
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup currant, lingonberry or plum jelly
- 1 large egg
- 3 T. dry red wine
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. crumbled dried sage leaves
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Use your hands to mix until all ingredients are evenly worked into one another.
Place meatloaf mixture into a greased, 9- by 5- by 3-inch loaf pan. Pat the top of the mixture to make it level and cover with aluminum foil.
Bake for 1 hour or until meatloaf is firm and a visual check shows no pinkness. Remove from oven, remove foil and place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Using oven mitts, lift the pan and tilt gently to drain any collected fat.
Invert loaf onto a serving plate. Serve hot, or chill and cut into small cubes or slices to serve as an appetizer.
Makes 8 servings.