These moist, slightly sweet energy bars are just the thing for breakfast on the go.
Halve this recipe or wrap extras in plastic wrap or foil, place in freezer bags and pop into the freezer.
- 11⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup flaxseed meal
- 3⁄4 cup oat bran
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples, peeled, cored and shredded
- 1 cup almonds or pistachios, chopped, or 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 T. crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 3 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup molasses or honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Stir together dry ingredients.
Add carrots, apples, nuts and ginger, and stir well.
In a separate bowl, combine egg whites, applesauce, molasses and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and stir just until ingredients are moistened.
Spray two 8-inch by 8-inch square baking pans or two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Divide batter between two pans, spreading evenly.
Bake in a 350-degree F oven for 25 minutes. Let cool on wire racks and cut into squares. Makes 32 2-inch squares.