I like to use small, not-too-ripe Seckel pears for this dessert but any pear will do. Italian plums, rhubarb or raspberries work well, too. The light custard binds together the ripe fruit.
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons any weight of cream, sour cream or yogurt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger or nutmeg
- 4 to 5 cups pear slices (4 to 6 pears)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, chopped walnuts or hazelnuts. (optional)
- unbaked pie crust
Beat together the eggs, cream and melted butter. Stir in the remaining ingredients, pears last, and toss gently until they are coated.
Pour into the prepared pie shell and sprinkle with nuts, if using.
Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 min., then turn down the heat to 350 degrees and bake 50 min. or so until the pears are tender and the custard is a little puffy and firm.