The "buy local" movement helps hobby farms, family farms and small farms connect to consumers looking to buy food grown as close to home as possible.
Here are some of our favorite ways to connect to local food, honey, farms, CSAs and more:
- Local Harvest offers an interactive map to help you find family farmers, CSAs and more!
- Regional Best offers local foods produced by artisans, farmers and other small, family-owned specialty food companies from across the country.
- Idaho's bounty
- Athens Locally Grown
- Eat Wild Find grass-fed meat and dairy products -- as well as grass-fed dairies. A bonus -- there's an map, an alphabetical list and a invitation to be included, if you meet Eatwild's criteria.
- The Sustainable Table Find numerous shop-local resources for consumers. visit them to find local food as well as sustainable products.
- Honey Locator (maintained by the National Honey Board) scans hundreds of local honey varieties, honey products and honey suppliers throughout the United States to help you find what you need.
- The Biodynamic Farming Association supports the farming or gardening and community development throughout North America by providing a database with nearly CSA 500 listings.
- NewFarm's Farm Locator is a dataplace that lets you search and find farms in your area; plus it's a place for farmers and businesses--restaurants, retail stores, institutional buyers and other food businesses interested in purchasing produce from local farmers--to connect with each other as well.
- The Eat Well Guide can help you find fresh, sustainable food that is healthful, humane, better for the environment, and that supports family farmers in the United States and Canada.
- FoodRoutes is another resource for the "buy local” movement. The FoodRoutes Network (FRN) is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to reintroducing Americans to their food – the seeds it grows from, the farmers who produce it, and the routes that carry it from the fields to their tables. FoodRoutes also offers a map for consumers.
- The Food Industry Market Maker connects local producers and consumers with its interactive map of food industry marketing and business data.