- 2 pounds white or golden potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
- 1 T. olive oil
- 4 ounces onion, any variety, thinly sliced into rings
- 4 ounces green bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced into rings
- 1 T. finely chopped fresh garlic
- 6 ounces diced country-style smoked ham or 4 ounces diced European-style ham, such as prosciutto or Serrano ham
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1/4 cup seeded, finely chopped fresh jalapeño chile
- 2 ounces sliced green or black olives
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces grated Manchego or other hard cheese
- 6 eggs
- 3 T. milk
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. crumbled dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp. smoked sweet paprika
- arugula or flat leafed-parsley for garnish
Slice potatoes in half the short way, and cook until fork-tender. Drain, cool, peel and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Generously oil 9- or 10-inch, well-seasoned cast-iron skillet.
In another skillet, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onions, peppers and garlic until tender. Transfer sautéed vegetables to large bowl and add ham, potatoes, tomato, chile, olives, and salt and pepper; use hands to gently combine. Place potato mixture in prepared cast-iron skillet and pat smooth. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
In medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk and spices until frothy. Pour over potato-cheese mixture, tilting pan to evenly spread egg mixture.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until eggs are set and top is lightly browned. Let set 10 minutes or longer to cool. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with arugula or parsley leaves.
Makes 4 to 6 meal- or 12 appetizer-sized servings.