Try this hearty pumpkin dish at your next meal
- 1 small sugar pumpkin, seeds removed and lid intact
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- ½ lb. cooked pork, cubed
- 2–4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small stalk celery, finely sliced
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prick top half of pumpkin shell on the outside to allow steam to escape while cooking. Place in a shallow pan (such as a broiler pan) and fill with about ½-inch of water. Bake about 15 to 20 minutes or until firm-tender.
Meanwhile, cook barley: Combine barley and water or chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook 20 to 30 minutes, until all water has been absorbed.
Combine cooked barley with remaining ingredients; stir to mix. Fill pumpkin shell, cover with lid and return to oven in pan with water. Bake 20 to 30 minutes, until pumpkin is very tender. Remove to serving plate and let cool slightly. Scoop out some of the pumpkin meat when serving. Serves 2 to 4.
More Main Dish Recipes