HobbyFarms.com


Your E-mail:
Hobby Farms - Current Issue

Urban Farm Magazine

Printer Friendly

Ask Martok: Farm Dogs and Snakebites

Martok the goat gives advice on what to do if your farm dog comes in contact with a snake.

By Martok, with Sue Weaver


Rattlesnake
Courtesy Tom Brakefield/Stockbyte/ Thinkstock
Rattlesnakes, water moccasins, cottonmouths and copperheads are all a threat to farm dogs.

Q: There are snakes on our farm, and I worry about my dog getting bitten. What can I do to avoid it? And if a snake bites my dog, what should I do?

A: Most snakes aren't poisonous, and some snakes help out your hobby farm by eating rodents in your barn and garden. We have snakes on our farm, and we like them!

However, according to “Treatment of Snakebite in Field Dogs,” by Terry Terlep, DVM, about 15,000 dogs and cats are bitten by poisonous snakes every year. In dogs, 70 to 80 percent of bites occur on the face and head and 20 to 30 percent occur on the legs. About 80 percent of snakebites are caused by rattlesnakes; water moccasins, cottonmouths and copperheads cause the rest.

Ask MartokThe good news is that of the 36 species of snakes in Arkansas (where I live) only six are venomous. This is typical of many states. Far-north states, like Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota and Washington, have even fewer than that. To find out which venomous snakes live where you do, check out Venombyte.com.

The best way to help your farm dog avoid snakes is to keep it away from places where snakes like to be. Expect to find snakes underneath or beside logs, rocks and debris; along fencerows; and in or under wood or brick piles. During the hot summer months, snakes are most active at night, so if you're out and about with your dog in the evenings, carry a flashlight. In late fall and early spring, snakes bask on rocks or in patches of sunlight to warm their bodies, so they tend to be more active during the day.

Keep your dog on a leash when you take it where snakes are likely to be, and don't allow it to poke its nose into holes in the ground or to dig under logs, rocks or boards.

If you're with your dog when it’s bitten by a snake, note the snake’s color and size, but don't try to kill it—it might bite you. If you're familiar with snakes and you're certain the snake isn't poisonous, wash the wound with soap and water and watch to make certain it doesn't become infected. If you don't know if the snake is venomous, err on the side of caution and rush your dog to the veterinarian. Carry it to the car if you can; restricting movement helps keep the venom from spreading. Call ahead to make sure your usual veterinarian has snakebite antivenin on hand; if he doesn't, ask him to direct you to a vet that does. Keep your dog calm and immobile. Don't apply a tourniquet, slash the wound, or apply ice or any other type of wound dressing. And don't give it aspirin or pain reliever; just get it to the vet.

If your dog comes home with unusual swelling anywhere on its body or if it’s unusually restless, breathing erratically, drooling, weak or disoriented, it might have been bitten by a poisonous snake. Quickly examine it for fang marks, especially on the face or legs. (Harmless snakebites are U-shaped, and there are no puncture marks from fangs.) Marks can be hard to find, especially on long-haired dogs, so if in doubt, don't delay. Get moving. Time is of the essence, especially if your dog has been bitten on the face. 

About the Author: Ozark Jewels General Martok, who describes himself as "a really studly Nubian buck," lives with his family and friends on a small farm in the Arkansas Ozarks. Read his blog “Mondays with Martok” for a peek at their daily animal activities.

Have an animal-related question? Send it to Martok at hobbyfarms@bowtieinc.com and include “Ask Martok” in the subject.

 Give us your opinion on
Ask Martok: Farm Dogs and Snakebites

Submit a Comment
Reader Comments
So glad for your happy outcome! I live where there are not many venomous snakes but we plan to move south where there are more, and I worry about our dog and ourselves...I fear snakes but if I know it's not venomous then I try to be tolerant and not freak out too much.
Terri, Norwood, MA
Posted: 9/4/2012 11:57:03 AM
Wow, MJ! Your pup was a trooper. It sounds like you took the right action in getting him to a vet immediately!
Hobby Farms editor, Lexington, KY
Posted: 3/9/2012 11:34:00 AM
Re snake bite to your dog:
Our Border Collie was bitten 2 yrs ago by a Rattle Snake that was only the width of you pinkie and less than a foot long. The Vet said they are like teenagers at that stage and had the most venom. The Vethad us give him Benadryl asap then we rushed into the Vet 30 mi away. I also held ice on his nose when the bite occured. The area swelled so fast he was snoring. They gave him IV push Prednisone. He lived and he was 11 yrs old!
MJ, Belle Fourche, SD
Posted: 3/8/2012 1:40:09 PM
View Current Comments

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email:

Product Spotlight
Hobby Farm Rewards 
Member Login »

facebook


Information on over 200 horse breeds