Start to finish: 2 hours 15 minutes
Servings: 4 (as a side dish)
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh sweet marjoram, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup light cream
Rinse rice with cold water, and place in a stock pot with broth and herbs. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for one hour. Remove from heat, and let sit for 30 minutes more to absorb remaining liquid.
In the meantime: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large skillet, melt the butter, then sauté the onions until translucent. Add mushrooms, and sauté for a few more minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the rice with the onion-and-mushroom mixture and the light cream, and then pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated through.