June 17, 2011
- 12 cloves garlic, skinned
- 4 slices sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup buttermilk or low-fat milk
- 2 cups raw blanched almonds
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 tsp. each salt and ground white pepper or finely ground black pepper
- 16 green grapes, for garnish
- fresh or dried marjoram, for garnish
Wrap peeled cloves of garlic in foil paper and place in 400-degree-F oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until they are soft.
Cut bread into 2-inch cubes and soak in buttermilk.
Chop almonds in food processor until very fin but not forming a nut butter. Add bread, buttermilk and garlic, and blend while slowly add the chicken stock. Add vinegar, oil, salt and pepper, and blend until mixture is smooth.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Soup thickens as it cools. The soup is very rich and a small serving as a first course is best. Serve in individual bowls and garnish with quartered grapes and a sprinkling of marjoram.Â
Serves 6 to 8.