- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced leeks
- 1½ pound tart apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 8 cups heavy cream
- 6 small red potatoes, peeled and diced in ½-inch chunks
- 1 whole branch fresh rosemary
- 1 pound Brie cheese, softened, rind removed, and cut into chunks
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- For garnish: 1 tart apple; fresh rosemary sprigs
In a heavy-bottomed stock pot, heat onions, leeks and apples over medium-low to medium heat. Stirring often, stew the mixture in its own juices until the onions are soft. Add the broth, bay leaves and thyme. Increase heat and bring to a gentle boil; cook until onions are completely tender. Remove bay leaves.
In a separate heavy-bottomed pot, combine cream, potatoes and a whole rosemary branch. Heat to a gentle boil over medium-high heat and simmer on medium-low heat until potatoes are completely cooked. Remove the rosemary branch.
Combine ingredients of both pots. Working in batches, puree mixture in blender, adding cheese bit by bit. Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
To serve, heat through over low heat (do not boil). Garnish individual servings with very thin slices of tart apple and sprigs of fresh rosemary. Makes 3 to 4 quarts.