Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 pound ground country or breakfast pork sausage
- 4 large eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Stir together the panko, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and smoked paprika.
On a clean, flat surface, flatten and divide sausage into four portions, and roll each portion into 1/4-inch thick circles.
Place an egg in the center of each sausage circle. Carefully wrap the sausage around each egg so that each one is completely covered.
Roll a sausage-covered egg in flour, dip it in the beaten egg and then roll it in the prepared panko mixture until the sausage is evenly coated. Place the egg on the baking sheet. Repeat for each Scotch egg.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the exterior is browned and crunchy and the sausage is cooked through. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.