Helping military families keep their yards in shape is one goal of Project EverGreen–the nonprofit organization also wants to help send members of military families to school.
And you can help.
Project EverGreen’s Buck it Up program is in the middle of a scholarship fund-raising effort to helpÂ members ofÂ military families pursueÂ careers in horticulture and, in some cases, agribusiness.
The goal is to raise $250,000 ($1, $5 or $10 at a time) by Armed Forces Day, May 16, 2009.
Where the Money Goes
Buck it Up proceeds will go to help Project EverGreen:
- Create a scholarship program for military family members seeking a career in the horticultural industry.
- IncreaseÂ the organization’s infrastructure to better handle the 7,500 military families and 2,100 volunteers participating in GreenCare for Troops, Project EverGreenâ€™s free lawn and landscape service.
Project EverGreen is partnering informally with the National Association of Farm Broadcasters (NAFB), The Livestock Publications Council (LPC) and AgriMarketing magazine to help raise the funds.
“The fund-raising started justÂ two weeks ago,” says Den Gardner, executive director of Project EverGreen, “so there’s still plenty of time to get involved. It’s greatÂ way families at home canÂ help out with the war effort.”
He added, “Promoting careers in horticulture and related areas is one way we can further helpÂ consumers understand the importance of caring for their greenspaces like their yards.”
At least 60 percent of the funds collected will be used for college scholarships, according to Project EverGreen. The remaining will provide expense money for some GreenCare for Troops volunteers and funding to supplement the infrastructure of Project EverGreen to help implement the program.
Get Involved with Buck It Up
Here’s how you or your organization can get involved:
- Join with Project EverGreen and make a donation individually, through your company and/or your customers. Project EverGreen will send you information and flyers to help you promote the project at your business, office, gathering place. Visit Project EverGreen online or call 1-877-758-4835Â for information.
- Provide the bucket(s) or container(s) to hold the $1 or $5 or $10 donated by customers, employees, etc. Remind people through your promotions or signage that the program will conclude on May 16 â€“ Armed Forces Day.
- Ask if the organization you work for would be willing to match the donations of the employees.
Where To Send “Buck It Up” Funds
After the money is collected, write a check (payable to “Project EverGreen Buck it Up”) and send it to: Project EverGreen, 120 Main St. West, P.O. Box 156, New Prague, MN 56071.
More about GreenCare
The GreenCare for Troops program has received national attention and was featured on NBC Nightly News and the NBC Weekend Today Show last fall. You can view the piece on the Project EverGreen website.
Lawn and landscape businesses from urban, suburban and rural areas that provide free lawn care to military families while the major breadwinner is deployed overseas help make the program possible.
In just three years, more than 7,500 military families have been involved nationwide through a network of assistance by 2,100 volunteers, according to Project EverGreen.Â The program is underwritten by Cub Cadet Commercial.
To sign up as a volunteer or if you know of a member of a military family whoâ€™d like to be considered for lawn-care assistance, call 877-758-4835 or visit www.projectevergreen.com/gcft.