Chickens and other poultry members come in all sizes, shapes, colors and personalities. Nearly 400 recognized breeds and varieties of poultry exist, including large fowl and bantam chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys and guinea fowl. Using our illustration and a few selected hints, can you guess which mystery chicken breed we have depicted here?
Find out the answer below.
- The breed is recognized by the American Poultry Association and also comes in a bantam size and a variety of colors: White, Black, Black Breasted Red, Golden Duckwing and Silver Duckwing.
- It is known for its unique blue-green eggs, which are a result of the breed’s genetics. But this original layer of blue eggs gave way to other blue-egg-laying breeds such as Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers in recent years.
- The breed is native to Chile and was first discovered by Spanish conquistadors in the 16th century.
- This unusual breed is rumpless (aka having no tail) and also lacks a tailbone and oil (or preen) gland.
- One of the most striking features of this breed is its ear tufts, which are a feather or group of feathers coming out of the sides of the bird’s face around the ear area. They can be one-sided or bilateral (which is preferred).
Mystery Breed Answer
The breed depicted on above is the Araucana, a dual-purpose breed prized for its blue-tinted, medium-sized eggs and plump carcass.
According to The Araucana Club of America, the Araucana originated in an area of Chile controlled by Araucana Indians. The breed was first imported to the U.S. in the 1930s and admitted to the American Poultry Association’s Standard of Perfection in 1976.
This mystery chicken breed feature originally appeared in the Sept./Oct. 2023 issue of Chickens magazine. Brought to you by Murray McMurray Hatchery, which provides the highest quality poultry and auxiliary products to its customers and has been a trusted, knowledgeable industry resource for more than 100 years. Whether you are an experienced or novice enthusiast, Murray McMurray is sure you’ll enjoy its wide selection of breeds and supplies to assist you with raising your flock!