Photo by Stephanie Gang
- ¬†3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, uncooked
- ¬†2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- ¬†1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- ¬†1 cup sliced carrots, 1/8-inch thick
- ¬†1/2 tsp. dried, crumbled sage
- ¬†freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¬†2 cups chicken broth
- ¬†1/2 cup milk
- ¬†2 T. vegetable oil
- ¬†1 cup flour
- ¬†2 tsp. baking powder
- ¬†1/4 tsp. salt
In a medium bowl, whisk together milk and oil. Gradually stir in flour, baking powder and salt until a soft dough forms. Set aside.
Cut each chicken breast in half, and place halves in the bottom of an oiled, 11‚ĀĄ2-quart casserole dish or 8- by 8-inch glass baking dish. Cover chicken with onion, celery and carrots. Sprinkle sage and
pepper over vegetables; pour broth over all.
Distribute 2-inch balls of the dumpling dough evenly over the casserole. Cover tightly and bake at 325 degrees F for 90 minutes.