- 4 slices uncooked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp. minced fresh garlic
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread
- 3 cups dried bread cubes
- 1 cup peeled, grated apple (use the large holes on your grater)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In heavy-bottomed skillet, cook bacon, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat until bacon is crisp and vegetables are tender. Do not drain.
In large bowl, combine eggs, parsley, poultry seasoning and pepper. Add cornbread, bread cubes and grated apple; toss lightly until mixed. Add bacon mixture and broth, stirring lightly to moisten. Place in buttered 2-quart casserole dish and bake, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes or until mixture is firm and top is browned.
Serves 8 to 10.