Goat milk contains more than 50 nutrients, minerals, acids and enzymes that nourish and revitalize dehydrated skin. Regular use of¬†goat milk soap will maintain a moisture balance that results in smoother, softer skin. The best goat milk to use for soap is filtered, not pasteurized, though any goat milk will yield good soap.
Goat Milk Soap Recipe
- ¬†3 pints goat milk, filtered and very cold
- ¬†12-ounce can of 100 percent lye
- ¬†10 cups vegetable shortening (5 pounds)
- ¬†2 ounces glycerin
- ¬†5 ounces beeswax
- ¬†5 ounces cocoa butter
- ¬†Rubber gloves
- ¬†Clothing that covers body from neck to toe
- ¬†Ventilation mask
- ¬†Bowl of distilled vinegar
- ¬†Well-ventilated area
- Two¬†12-quart, stainless steel cooking pots
- Cooking thermometer
- ¬†Scale (if selling soap commercially)
- Handheld electric stick blender
- ¬†Wooden paint stirrer
- ¬†Waxed paper
- ¬†Fishing line
- ¬†Litmus paper
- ¬†Molds to form soaps
Get creative by mixing herbs, exfoliants, essential oils and more into your goat-milk soaps. Here are some commonly used additives that will give your recipe its own style:
- ¬†Herbs (powdered): Chamomile, calendula, jasmine tea, marshmallow root, patchouli
- Exfoliants (ground): Apricot seed, oatmeal, chicory, cornmeal. If you add an exfoliant, use the soap only once a week to avoid over-stimulating your pores.
- Essential Oils vs. Fragrance Oils: There are two types of scenting oils: fragrance oils and essential oils. An essential oil is produced by distilling the oil out of the plant from which it originates. In contrast, fragrance oil, also called “essence,‚ÄĚ is a man-made chemical that‚Äôs steeped in alcohol. Essential oils are better for scenting your goat milk soap because they have better scent retention. Also, many fragrance oils change the consistency of soap, making it difficult to make correctly. If you want to try a fragrance oil, test a small batch to see if you like the results. Popular scenting oils include rose, gardenia, lavender, tea tree and peppermint.
- ¬†Other additives: honey, aloe vera, vitamin E oil (squash a gel tablet).
- ¬†Coloring Dyes: clays, mineral pigments, spices (powdered), vanilla, ground coffee.
Once you have gathered all the necessary ingredients and safety materials, you‚Äôre ready for step-by-step instructions on how to make goat milk soap.
Excerpt from the Popular Farming Series magabook Goats.
Goat-farmer’s Cheese Recipe
Goat-milk Chive Butter Recipe
Goat-milk Mozzarella Recipe