- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 T. sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh, whole corn kernels (or canned and drained
Sun-dried Tomato Spread
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 T. onions or shallots, finely chopped
- 1 T. oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
To make cornbread, combine dry ingredients. Add egg, milk and oil, beat with an electric mixer until smooth, about one minute. Stir in whole corn kernels. Pour into a greased 8-inch square glass baking pan and bake in a 425-degree F oven for 20 to 23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
To make spread, use an electric mixer to mix together all ingredients.
To serve, cut cornbread into squares and spread with sun-dried tomato spread.