Yield: 6 servings
- 2 T. olive or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder (optional)
- 2 cupsÂ spinach or Swiss chard, torn in small pieces
- 1 cup or more leftover lamb, removed from bones and chopped
- 1/2 cup (or more) cooked winter squash, diced
- 1 cup combined leftover, de-fatted cooking juices fromÂ Moroccan Lamb Shanks and chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- 1 can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
- prepared pie crust
- cinnamon or paprika, to garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In large frying pan over medium heat, sautĂ© onion and carrot in oil with curry powder (if using) until soft. Add spinach or chard, and cook briefly until leaves wilt. Remove from heat, add lamb and squash, and mix in cooking juices and broth gradually until thick, stew-like consistency is achieved. If mixture is too soupy, make a slurry of 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold cooking juices or broth and add to filling. (Do not use warm or hot cooking juices or broth; they might prevent the slurry from forming.) Pour warmed mixture into greased pie pan or baking dish and season to taste. Cover with pie crust, pricking holes in top, and sprinkle with cinnamon or paprika. Bake for 10 minutes, then decrease temperature to 350 degrees F and bake until golden, about 25 minutes.
Serve with green salad or cauliflower.