Photo by Rachael Brugger
Substitute or add your favorite seasonal vegetables to this dish.
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium-sized potato, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 9-inch round baking dish with olive oil.
Place carrots, potato, bell pepper and fennel in baking dish. Sprinkle with oregano, olive oil, salt and pepper, and stir to coat mixture evenly. Place onion rings on top of vegetables, then add diced tomatoes.
In small bowl, combine bread crumbs and cheeses. Sprinkle mixture on top of tomatoes.
Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until vegetables feel soft. Check vegetables after 25 minutes. If topping begins to brown, cover it with foil. Once vegetables are done, remove foil, and cook for 5 minutes until topping is crisp.
Excerpt from Tasty Tomatoes, part of the Popular Gardening Series, with permission from its publisher, BowTie, Inc. Purchase Tasty Tomatoes here.