Photo by Nicole Sipe
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1/2 pound fettuccini, spaghetti or other pasta
- 2 T. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced or chopped
- 1 small to medium onion, chopped
- 3 to 6 cloves fresh garlic, minced or chopped
- 4 eggs
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup white wine (or 1/4 cup water drained from pasta)
- 2 T. fresh parsley, chopped
Cook pasta according to package instructions, until al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water if you donâ€™t want to use white wine later, and drain the rest. Toss pasta with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and set aside.
In large, heavy skillet, sautĂ© bacon until slightly crispy. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels. Pour off most of grease, leaving 2 tablespoons in pan.
Add onion and 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan, and sautĂ© until translucent. Add garlic, and sautĂ© for 1 minute. Return bacon to pan, and add cooked pasta. Toss and heat for about 1 minute.
In separate bowl, beat eggs until well-mixed. Add pepper, grated cheese, and wine or reserved water. Stir mixture until no lumps remain.
Add egg mixture to pan. Cook on medium heat, tossing constantly, until eggs are barely set. (Do not cook to scrambled-egg hardness.)
Remove from heat, and serve immediately. Garnish with chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.