Photo by Stephanie Staton
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 pound slender asparagus spears
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ cups shelled fresh peas
- 3 cups penne pasta
- 4 T. dry white wine
- 6 to 8 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup slivered basil leaves
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated or in curls, to garnish
Trim woody ends from asparagus, then trim tips on the diagonal. Cut stems on diagonal into 11⁄2-inch pieces. In large saucepan, bring 3 quarts water and salt to boil. Add asparagus and peas, and return to boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 7 to 9 minutes or until asparagus and peas are tender.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain asparagus and peas, and return to pan. Add wine and olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Place pan over medium-high heat, gently tossing vegetable mixture until wine has reduced and vegetables glisten with oil.
Drain penne and place in large, warmed serving bowl. Add vegetables, green onions and slivered basil; toss well. Garnish with Parmesan cheese, and serve immediately.