Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 to 3 T. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1-plus cup deboned and chopped leftover beef from Classic Short Ribs
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, minced, or 1 tsp. dried
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced, or 1 tsp. dried
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup or more leftover mushrooms or 1/2 pound sliced, fresh mushrooms (optional)
In large frying pan over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add tomatoes and wine, and simmer until reduced by about 20 percent and thickened. Add meat, herbs, seasoning and mushrooms, if using.
Serve with pasta, grits or polenta.