Garden vegetables, such as crunchy bell peppers and sweet cherry tomatoes, give basic chicken salad a new, flavorful twist. This version is dressed in a tangy sauce made of Dijon mustard, Greek yogurt and a touch of creamy mayonnaise. It makes a delicious filling for sandwiches, or it can be served over greens on a plate with fresh fruit. Chopped chicken breasts are used here, but feel free to substitute any combination of chopped or shredded white and dark meat.
- 1 1‚ĀĄ4 pounds chicken breasts, cooked and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1‚ĀĄ2 large yellow bell pepper, diced (about 3‚ĀĄ4 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, diced (about 1‚ĀĄ2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 3‚ĀĄ4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1‚ĀĄ4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1‚ĀĄ4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 1‚ĀĄ4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 12 cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- chopped fresh chives for garnish
In a medium bowl, place the chicken and add the bell pepper, celery and chives.
In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard and 1‚ĀĄ4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper until combined and smooth. Pour the dressing over the chicken and vegetables, and mix well. Gently fold in the tomatoes. Add more salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with chives before serving.
This story originally appeared in the July/August 2018 issue of Chickens magazine.