Yield: 4 servings
- 6 slices thinly sliced bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced onion (about 1/4 large onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed (about 1½ cups)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (hot or sweet)
Heat medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until pieces are crisp. Remove bacon pieces from pot and place on paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
Reduce heat to medium and add onion. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add garlic, continue to cook and stir 1 more minute. Add broccoli, cauliflower and potato, and cook for 2 minutes.
Add stock. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Reduce heat back to mediumand simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Turn off heat. Use immersion blender to purée soup ingredients in pot. (Alternately, you can transfer the soup in batches to blender, purée and return it to warm pot.) Once puréed and smooth, stir in salt, black pepper and smoked paprika. Serve with bacon pieces sprinkled on top.