- 2/3 cup canola or corn oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 2 tsp. good quality chile powder, sweet or hot according to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 or 2 drops liquid smoke or a pinch of smoked salt
- salt to taste (omit or use less if using smoked salt)
- 1/2 T. minced fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded; or 1 T. minced, seeded mild pepper, such as anaheim or sweet banana
- 1 T. minced fresh cilantro
- 2 T. minced red onion
Combine all ingredients in a jar, seal tightly and shake vigorously to blend. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow flavors to blend. Shake again before serving.
Dressing can be used for up to two weeks when stored in the refrigerator. Makes approximately 1 cup.