Bug Basics & More Tips
Get indepth details on theÂ ticks, flies andÂ more. Read “Natureâ€™s Nasties” for help keeping the bugs away from your livestock!
Do you begin to itch just thinking about the insects that buzz and sting duringÂ summerÂ gardening and evenings outdoors — and that pester your farm animals to no end? It may seem futile at times, but here some ideasÂ to help keep the bugs at bay.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants that cover your skin; try clothing with the invisible, odorless repellent BUZZ OFFâ„˘ bonded right to the fabric.
- Don’t hang out near puddles or other small pools of standing water (like wading pools). Donâ€™t set up camp in any marshy or similarly wet area.
- Get rid of mosquito-breeding situations by emptying standing water in flowerpots, buckets. Every bit of prevention will help.
- For your farm animals, apply insect repellent to their legs using your hands or a non-spraying method; application by spraying may frighten some animals.
- Consider mixing up essential oils, particularly peppermint, lemon, citronella, eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary, tea tree, basil, geranium or sage. The higher quality oils and stronger scents work best.