February 18, 2009
Bug Basics & More Tips
Get indepth details on the ticks, flies and more. Read “Nature’s Nasties” for help keeping the bugs away from your livestock!
Do you begin to itch just thinking about the insects that buzz and sting during summer gardening and evenings outdoors — and that pester your farm animals to no end? It may seem futile at times, but here some ideas to help keep the bugs at bay.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants that cover your skin; try clothing with the invisible, odorless repellent BUZZ OFF™ bonded right to the fabric.
- Don’t hang out near puddles or other small pools of standing water (like wading pools). Don’t set up camp in any marshy or similarly wet area.
- Get rid of mosquito-breeding situations by emptying standing water in flowerpots, buckets. Every bit of prevention will help.
- For your farm animals, apply insect repellent to their legs using your hands or a non-spraying method; application by spraying may frighten some animals.
- Consider mixing up essential oils, particularly peppermint, lemon, citronella, eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary, tea tree, basil, geranium or sage. The higher quality oils and stronger scents work best.