June 20, 2011
- 3 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Â½ cups roughly chopped onions (any kind)
- 1 T. chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup seeded and chopped sweet bell pepper (any color)
- 2Â½ cups coarsely chopped zucchini
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves, loosely packed
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh sweet basil
- chopped fresh tomato for garnish (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large, thick-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. SautÃ© onions, garlic and salt until vegetables start to soften. Stir in pepper, zucchini and stock. Bring to a simmer, and cook until pepper is soft, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the spinach and basil just until wilted. Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Add more salt if needed. Serve hot, topped with chopped fresh tomatoes if desired.
Makes about 6 servings.